Barim seeks international artists to join our residency program. (DEADLINE: 11PM APRIL 12 KOREAN TIME)
This year, Barim invites research-based contemporary artists in all genres such as visual art, performing art, curatorial, film, design, research, music, critic, and more. We support artists who can utilize designated time and situation to pursue research and process based practice, but it doesn’t have to be a site-specific nor space-specific. Our exhibition hall is rather small and the exhibition will be with other artists as well, so we look for artists who are flexible with a process of art making and expression. Participating artists must be able to present a research theme and process, as well as own artistic answers through an exhibition, performance, or other artistic medium to the audience.
This residency will be held with Korean artists, thus international artists will live, work, and showcase with Korean and local artists. Collaboration is not mandatory but a chance to work with artists from different backgrounds and genres is always there.
Please see the following for the detail information.
Barim, Gwangju, Korea (3F, 80-2 Daeui-dong, Dong-gu, Gwangju)
May 1 – June 15
Final showcase: June 9 (Sat) expected
- Shared working space and shared exhibition/performing space
- An apartment-type house. A single room will be offered to an individual artist with shared bathroom and kitchen.
- Basic exhibition set-up
- Basic equipment such as a projector, camcorder, light, speaker, and etc.
PR materials such as posters and leaflets
- Unfortunately, we are self-funded small space so no traveling budget will be offered. Also materials and living expenses are up to artists.
- Contemporary art in general (Artists/curators/researchers/musicians/choreographers/performers/critics)
- Those who create/study a research-based work
- Those who are able to make an artistic proposal and responsible in producing a work, bringing a new perspective to Barim, Gwangju, or current days
- Those who are good communicators, living and working collaboratively with others. (Family or others who are not a participant of this residency program cannot stay at the accommodation)
- Those who can stay in Gwangju without long term absence
- Those who are either non-Korean in terms of nationality or currently not living in Korea
- One can apply as a duo, collective, or team, but will get the same support as an individual (such as a single room).
- Open to all artistic media, all ages, all gender, all education level and career level.
Please do not attach a large file. Please use a drive or link instead.
- Contact (Name, artistic name, phone number, email, website and etc/ Do not include any sensitive personal information)
- Portfolio (Website would work if it is with enough explanation)
- CV, Statement, and Residency Proposal (What you want to achieve from this residency)
- Let us know any special needs such as an elevator
All should be submitted before 11PM APRIL 12 (KOREAN TIME) to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will get our answer by April 16 personally to your email.