“Research Shaping 2019” is a research project by Barim in 2019. The title contains various themes on symbols, signs, attitudes, forms, concepts, performativity, and more of contemporary art, and this project supports contemporary artists who approach to art in an abstract, formative, performative, theoretical, and critical way that they can show the process of it.
For the last five years, barim has organized this kind of projects under the title of ‘residency.’ The reason we don’t use that title this year is that we think ‘research’ as a method and its ‘process’ are more important than ‘residency’ itself which connotes the meaning of ‘living.’ Also, we consistently have questioned the system of residency, and we still have no answer. We have seen that residency in Korea becomes the very promotional means and alternative labor for central and local governments, and for some people who have spaces could curate so-called programs with the convenient title of residency. Also sometimes residency seems to be needed only as an additional line of CV, but at the same time for some artists, residency is an opportunity to deepen their works. In all these, we think only the very latter one is significant and important.
Therefore, barim aims to suggest a project with curation, rather than an opportunistic title called a residency. Residency is eventually about supporting space and artist fee. Thus the things we support stay the same, but we want to create a place to share a process even if it does not end with the forms of exhibition nor performance. Also sometimes we feel threatened to work in a contemporary art field due to widely spread discrimination against who we are, and we hope to create a safe and respectful community in a residency.
Barim invites research-based contemporary artists in all genres such as visual art, performing art, curatorial, film, design, theory, music, critic, and more. We support artists who can utilize time and situation of the residency to pursue research and process-based practice, but it doesn’t have to be site-specific nor space-specific. The final showcase can be anything from exhibition, performance, presentation, workshop to guerilla project. Our exhibition hall is rather small, and the showcase might be with other artists as well, so we encourage selected artists to be flexible with a process of art-making and expression.
Please see the following.
Barim, Gwangju, Korea (3F, 80-2 Daeui-dong, Dong-gu, Gwangju)
- September 1 – October 15, 2019
- Final showcase: October 12, 2019, expected
- Artist Fee 1,000,000 KRW
- Shared working space and shared exhibition/performing space
- An apartment-type house. A single room / a single bed will be offered to an individual artist with shared bathroom and kitchen.
- Basic exhibition set-up
- Basic equipment such as a projector, camcorder, light, speaker, etc.
- PR materials such as posters and leaflets
- Contemporary art in general (Artists/curators/researchers/musicians/filmmakers/designers/choreographers/performers/critics) who create/study a research-based work
- Those who can make an artistic proposal on this residency’s theme and responsible in producing a work, bringing a new perspective to Barim, Gwangju, or today’s art
- Those who are good communicators, living and working collaboratively with others. (Must keep all the common area clean all the time.)
- Those who can stay in Gwangju without long term absence
- You can apply as a duo, collective, or team, but will get the same support as an individual (such as a single room/bed).
- Open to all nations, media, ages, gender, education level, and career level.
- Artists from Gwangju, artists from other cities in Korea, and international artists will be selected separately.
- Prefer a combined PDF file. Please do not attach a large file and send a drive link or link instead.
- Introduction (Name, artistic name, phone number, email, website, where you are based, etc/Do not include any sensitive personal information)
- Portfolio (Website would work if it is with enough explanation)
- Residency Proposal (Relatable to the theme of the residency. Plan of work)
- Special needs (An elevator, sensitive personal information, notes to collaborative living)
All should be submitted before 11PM MAY 31, 2019 (KOREAN TIME) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The result will be sent by JUNE 10, 2019 personally to your email.